The National Horseracing Museum Jockey on Horse
Profile: Horse
Welcome
Browse
Search
About
Order Print
More Info
Education
Games
Glossary
Museum Homepage

   Recently viewed:

 

La Fleche

Foaled: 1889    Died: 1916
Sire: St Simon    Dam: Quiver
Dam Sire: Toxophilite    Sex: Mare
Colour: Brown   

Breeder(s):

The Royal Studs at Hampton Court

Trainer(s):

John Porter
Richard Marsh

Owner(s):

Baron Maurice de Hirsch
La Fleche in training
La Fleche in training
Buy a print >>
View image detailsView a larger image

Dates & jockeys of important wins:

1000 Guineas
1892  George Barrett
Oaks
1892  George Barrett
St Leger
1892  John Watts
Other major race(s)
(featuring people in this database)
1894  Ascot Gold Cup   John Watts

Description:

The first photograph shows La Fleche in training with her lad. She looks a real little racing machine. Sold for a then record 5,500 Guineas as a yearling, La Fleche, the own sister to Memoir (Oaks and St Leger) justified her expensive price tag by winning 16 races including the Fillies' Triple Crown. She was second in the Derby and really should have won that too, but was given a most erratic ride by her jockey George Barrett.

La Fleche was trained at 2 and 3 years by John Porter and then transferred to the Royal stable of Richard Marsh for the rest of her career.

The second photo shows La Fleche in the sales ring at Newmarket at the end of her racing days. Sir Tatton Sykes had instructed Lord Marcus Beresford to bid for her, but had not said for how much - when he discovered he had paid 12,600 guineas he refused to accept her and she was left unclaimed in her railway box at the Sledmere station for a fortnight. The throughtful station-master gave her fodder from his own small-holding. Eventually Sykes accepted her - her six foals were sold for £21,000. Her descendants include Swynford , Baroness La Fleche and Cinna.
 
La Fleche in the sales ring, Newmarket, 1896
Buy a print >>
ViewView a larger image

<< Back

Copyright © 2003 All rights reserved worldwide The National Horseracing Museum